Friday, October 16, 2009

A Polar Bear He Is!



This week Felix made the big leap from the Teddy Bear room to the Polar Bear room at school (sniff, sniff).  We knew he was getting bigger and bigger (even taller than many of his lego towers these days), but moving to the early preschool room confirmed that he's growing on the inside too.  While he will always be our little baby, he is ready for new challenges, probably more than we even realize at times.

After two days of "visiting" the Polar Bear room - going back and forth between rooms as he chose - on Wednesday, Felix became an official Polar Bear.  Felix handled the transition really well.  While a little nervous when we dropped him off, he jumped right in after we left.  He made his journal...



which, in case you can't read the small writing, says...



and "Fish and I'm swimming with mama" at the bottom.  He  also made a house for a cow out of magnatiles, painted a mural, did lots of dancing, and played outside in the playground.



Felix won't be getting the cute daily sheets anymore that he got in the Teddy Bear room.  Instead, his teacher, Merritt (and her co- teacher Sarah, who has seven other kids) writes notes on a big white board that get erased at the end of the day (or more accurately, the morning after, as I happily discovered when I sneaked back after the daycare was closed for the day to take this picture - I have a key because of our monthly cleaning shift).  I actually am considering taking a picture each day of what he did for posterity, and so I remember what to tell Susan when we get home.  I'm not sure if that will happen, since that means another thing to keep track of, but until Felix is a little more articulate about what happens each day, I might consider it!



Felix always gets really healthy snacks at daycare - often more varied than the cheese and cracker variety that he gets at home.   But what got my attention about his snack on Wednesday was how much he ate!  Merritt told me that Felix ate two huge bowls of chickpeas and cauliflower.  I think he was making up for the two previous nights where he ate no supper - he was so overstimulated and exhausted he didn't even have an appetite.

The week is done now and we have a few days as a family to relax and regroup before the gauntlet of the work week starts again - the precarious balance of work, school, transit, eating, and squeezing in a little bit of play.  But until then, we have a few days to be, and for Felix to just be Felix - a lovable and loving, silly, energetic, challenging at times, imaginative two and a half year old.  I'll try to savor it, and keep my eyes open, so I can catch it all before he's off to the next room at school - and the next adventure.


2 comments:

Pinetastic said...

He's been too excited to eat dinner? Can you imagine having a day like that now? We think of kids growing up as such a purely physical thing. But its the emotional stuff thats hard. Learning how to calm down and listening to what your body is telling you. Heck, I haven't learned all that stuff yet.

KMS said...

We just got news that Spence has to move up to his early preschool room soon. I am struck with how my emotions just got caught in my belly and stayed there when I heard the news. It is somehow incredibly comforting and exciting to see Felix's drawing.

Perhaps Felix can give Spence some tips this weekend?