Thursday, February 19, 2009

Arty Pants

A few weeks ago Felix and I started taking an art class together at Articulture - a really cool organization that has art classes for babies and toddlers on up. At first I was a little nervous about it. Am I one of those parents that I laugh at for signing their kids up for every educational activity? Am I not capable of doing art with him at home? Will I be able to relate to the other parents in the class, or will they be snobby art-types?

Fortunately, I took a leap of faith and it was worth it. All my fears were for naught and we are having a great time. The other parents are nice, though honestly, we are so involved with our kids that I probably wouldn't even notice if they weren't! The class is totally hands on and very open to what the kids want to create. The first week we did clay, which Felix does a lot of at home, and loves. We did lots of fun things like making balls out of the play-dough type clay, rolling it flat, making holes in it, wrapping things inside it, experimenting with textures, etc. It gave me some ideas of what to do with Felix at home instead of always making things and saying - "look, a horse" (and really, my skills are so poor that it looks nothing like a horse, cat, car, bus, etc).

This past class we did pastels, which was also super fun. We experimented with a bunch of different types, none of which mean anything to me - oil, soft, hard...etc. Mostly, I was just busy trying to keep stuff out of Felix's mouth and off of the floor where he was tossing everything he was done with...my little Picasso! In the picture above he is using a q-tip to erase pastel lines from a clear plastic sheet - who knew you could do that? Not me. Felix was mostly enamored by the "dipping" of the q-tip in the water, which is one of his favorite activities in general (ketchup, tahini dressing, yogurt, etc.) though he associates it with eating, which is why there are pastel colors all around his mouth.

All in all it has been a nice addition to our Friday routine and a great way to focus on just spending time with Felix. I just hope we can make some money off what he creates so it will all be worth it! Ha ha. Tomorrow is 3-D Mobile day - I'll keep you posted on what gallery they will be exhibited at.

No comments: