Monday, March 9, 2009

Tra la la la....triangle

Felix's acquisition of shapes, colors, and letters is a little sporadic these days, which is just fine with me. I figure he will have plenty of time to absorb these details before kindergarten, so no need to press it. Even so, its been funny to see the little bits of knowledge gel into understanding one day at a time.

A few weeks back Felix watched a Sesame Street episode with my mom with the theme "triangle". After the show, they made pictures together and drew triangles, and then my mom pointed out some objects in their house that were also triangles. Ever since then, Felix has been really keyed into this shape, to the detriment of all others. In fact sometimes he calls all shapes triangles...and usually yellow triangles....but other times he is spot on.

Today we were at his little craft table coloring (well, ok, I was on the computer trying to get work stuff done because he was home sick today, and HE was coloring); all of a sudden he said to me "triangle"! I didn't know what he was talking about and had to get him to repeat himself a few times. Finally he pointed to the picture he had been coloring and showed me a small scribble that did indeed look like a triangle. Genius, I tell you, genius!

Its these moments that make me realize how much more Felix comprehends than he is able to communicate with me, and how frustrating it must be when he is not understood. For every time where I "get" what he is telling me, there are at least 5 more each day where we both give up because I just don't "get it". On the plus side, every day things are a little clearer in my head and in his speech. For instance, today instead of just showing me his finger when he hurt it (so I could kiss it), he said "ouchie". While I often mourn the loss of "baby" Felix, I am at the same time excited about the possibilities for understanding and communication. Just don't grow up too fast, lil' bud!

No comments: