Friday was the last day of the Bancroft Read-a-Thon, and, despite it being a Friday night, a night where exhaustion is elevated to new heights in our household, Felix decided he was going to end things out with a bang and read for 30 minutes. We started off with Froggy Learns to Swim, which is about exactly that. Felix has developed a bit of anxiety about swimming and being in deep water, so this book was a welcome find. He likes Froggy books already - there is another one about inclusion that is a fave - so I was not surprised that he enjoyed this one.
But, Felix did it! He read for 30 minutes (more or less) each day, for 14 days! I don't think he even realizes was a huge accomplishment this was. And we raised $300 to date...no small feat!
This weekend, I asked Felix to tell me his 3 favorite books during the Read-a-Thon. We actually used this blog to go back and see what exactly he had read. He told me "Captain Underpants" and "Henry's Freedom Box" were his faves, and that he liked the "Paint Box Kid" too, and "The Froggy Book". So, there you have it.
I've really enjoyed this process of being a little more intentional about reading with Felix, and reflecting on the books he likes to read, and the kids books that I like to read as well. While we are officially "done" with the Read-a-Thon, I hope this reflection will continue on, from time to time in this blog. So stay tuned! And now, lets get that playground built and reform our educational system so all kids have decent playgrounds regardless of how much money their school can raise!

No comments:
Post a Comment