Monday, February 11, 2013
Read-a-Thon Days #8-#10
We came upon this book on Saturday at the Women's Prison Book Project pancake breakfast. I had no idea what it was about until we got home and started reading. Low and behold, it's an amazing book about a working-class white boy in LA who befriends an older Chicano man in his neighborhood and paints a mural on his house...and fights a highway being built in his neighborhood! It's also a very sweet story. We read the first couple chapters on Saturday night, and then blew through the rest on Sunday night. Felix couldn't get enough of it! I am ordering the first book in the series, "The Chalk Box Kid" right now from the library.
This evening we started another chapter book called "Captain Underpants" and got through the first few chapters. It's light-hearted and funny - the exact opposite of "The Paint Brush Kid" - but exactly what Felix needed after a long day. He thought it was hilarious, and was fascinated by a scene in the book where the two friends sneak into their school office and make copies of their comic book on the school copier. I can totally imagine Felix and his friend Spencer doing this in a couple of years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
We've been totally into Captain Underpants as well! Did you know there is an interactive app of the book on the iPad? Spencer prefers the narrator to me, which makes me sad.
Can we borrow that book from the WPBP? Sounds awesome.
xo
Definitely! I can give it to you tomorrow. I will keep the Captain Underpants App a secret for a little while longer...though I am sure that Felix will probably hear about it soon from a certain person:)
I think Nicola is a bit optimistic that it will take Felix and Spencer a few years to attempt a photocopier caper....I'm thinking later this year is more likely....
Post a Comment