We are in the waning days of the Bancroft Read-a-Thon, and were fortunate to have Captain Underpants and Valentines Day swoop in to carry us to the finish line. While there is not a lot of literary depth to Captain Underpants, it is funny in that 5-year-old way (yes, underpants, diapers, and poop are all featured), and kept Felix hanging on until the end. He actually learned a lot of new words, such as "maniacal" and "ironic".
We also spent over an hour the other night reading and writing the names of all of Felix's classmates in Room 103 on their valentines day cards. Not necessarily reading "books" per se, but literacy, no less. I was impressed by how many names Felix could read, and how much he enjoyed deciphering the ones that were less familiar. We then spent an equal amount of time deciding which sticker to affix on which kids' card. An intricate algorithm involving the color of the sticker (CS), how much he liked the color (FLC), how much the other kid liked the color (OKLC), and how good of friends they were (F). Or, CS=FLC/FLC+OKLC.
Tomorrow is the last day of the Read-a-Thon, and we have some new books to celebrate with! Including a Spanish-English picture dictionary that Felix is super excited to read, and a coloring book challenging gender roles/gender expression that I am super excited to read to Felix. Tune in tomorrow for the final installment!

1 comment:
Wow, I looked at that algorithm for a long time before I figured out what the letters stood for.
Post a Comment